Following on from yesterday’s post of the first sketches of the old silver sugar bowl and spoons, I’ve now done two more sketches of the white flower in the sugar bowl. A Value Problem The main problem I needed to address with these two sketches was how to make the white flower work in the
Archives for May 2007
Continuing the theme of planning I dealt with in the last post, this post covers the early stages of the planning of a new painting. The subject of this painting is a collection of old silver objects. I know, silver again. But I like to paintsilver, especially old silver. Apart from it being very pretty,
Some years ago I used to paint commercial murals, in theme pubs and the like. I can clearly remember the experience of my first big mural, largely because it was one of the most horrendous working experiences of my life – entirely of my own doing, I might add. The space I had to fill
This picture shows the tone block at the heel going in. It should be fairly clear here how I’m increasingly using construction lines to find the shape. These points being so close to the heel makes them much easier to find by relating them to the main points on the outline of the heel. I’m
These three drawings were done with about a month between each, and were each an attempt to construct a selfportrait drawing using theLoomis approach to head construction. It’s interesting to see how differently they’ve come out. You certainly wouldn’t think that they wereall drawings of the same person. At least, I wouldn’t. Distant cousins maybe.
Finally, after ten or eleven hours work across several sessions, I’ve got this plate to the stage of the second schematic drawing. At this stage, all the main points which define the drawing have been placed and joined. I can now start to get some idea of how close I’m getting with my copy. So