First painting in my new studio. It was a while coming, and a while finishing too! This painting is up for auction here.
Often I take a long time over putting together the setups for my small paintings. This one originally had other objects involved – at one point a mirror in the background, at another an antique silver spoon, and a collections of bowls – but after a few hours of squinting and looking at the shapes
I’ve been looking at a lot of Northern Renaissance still life painting recently. I’ve had Dutch still life paintings drifting through my mind. Somehow, they must have seeped into me a little and I’ve become quite preoccupied with a handful of images. This, I guess, is what happens when some of that gets filtered through
I’ve combined a few favourite subjects here to make an arrangement in which I’ve tried to create a gentleness and hopefully harmony too, of colour and shape. There are deliberate echoes of curves, something I’ve been doing ever since I did a couple of years of composition practice based on Arthur Wesley Dow’s ideas. I
Bid on this painting here Something I’ve noticed lately about the way a paint is that I have two modes of painting. In the first mode, I’m judging colours and values as accurately as I can. I’m not even thinking about the panting much, I’m mostly laying down a jigsaw puzzle of colours that often
There are times in your painting life when you feel like you’ve made a jump forward. Or maybe just uncovered a new area to explore, and the exploration still has to be done. I think this one might be a bit of both. For a while I’ve been wanting to get something into my work
This little painting of a freesia is my first attempt with oil paints for quite some time. I was so energised starting this painting. As soon as I got out the easel and set it up, as soon as the paints came out, as soon as I opened the tub of turps and the smell
It’s a little while since I’ve done one of these step by step posts. This one covers the last painting I did before returning to full time work, and was originally intended to be the first of a series of flower paintings. The series is on hold indefinitely now, but writing this one up has
Things have moved on a little with the iron painting so it’s time for an update. Today I’ve got a colour study to post, and a few photos of the set up for the final piece, which has just been started. Already I’ve run into problems and willhave to start it again – par for
Sorry, don’t have a write up for this painting yet. May be coming soon!