25th June 2006
This painting is the first of a new series, ten flower paintings.
I returned to the smaller format for this one, which I’ll keep to for the rest of the series. WhenI get to the last one I’ll do a bigger one, but won’t try to reach quite as far as I did with thefiddle painting, mainly because thatone took me too long and was too much of a break from the usual. I wasn’t prepared for the difference thatpainting that size would make.
This painting was done today over about six hours. It’s the first one in which I used my home-mademaroger medium, having cooked up a batch last week. Made from a mixture of cold pressed linseed oil,gum mastic, litharge and pure gum turpentine, it took me two goes to get a reasonable result.More on the medium when I get time to post about it.
The Keys to Colour - Free 6 step email course
Learn how to:
- mix any colour accurately
- see the value of colours
- lighten or darken a colour without messing it up
- paint with subtle, natural colour